Shaw Laminate Flooring Tips
Tips on how to keep you Shaw laminate flooring as good as new:
- Always us a damp cloth on Shaw laminate flooring to blot up spills as soon as they rear their ugly faces. If you allow liquid to stand for a long period of time, you will not be happy with the result. So, I would suggest to keep kitchen towels handle for those unexpected moments.
- For hard to get stains on your Shaw laminate flooring, like oil, paint, markers, lipstick, ink and tar, use an acetone or nail polish remover on a clean cloth, and gently wipe the mess until it is all gone. Go back over after with another damp cloth to remove any residue left behind.
- Sweep and dust frequently with a soft bristled or push broom, this will prevent build up that could eventually scratch or dull your laminates surface.
- Periodically clean your floors with made for laminate products. Shaw actually makes a pretty awesome hard surface cleaner called R2X. I would suggest grabbing a bottle, because it works wonders.
- Never wash with a wet mop. Water is always the enemy when it comes to soaking in. It can cause the laminate to swell, discolor, or even buckle!
- Never use steel wool or abrasive scrubs on the floor. If you find that it will not come off with a damp cloth grab a spoon or a dull knife, and carefully scraped up the bulk of the material before trying to clean it again.
- You will never have to polish or buff your floors with a machine. So don’t, this would take all of the finish off of the floor and possibly cause a severe amount of scratching.
- Candle Wax on Shaw laminate flooring, ugh! This is always an issue for me because I love candles ( I am actually a bit of a candle addict.) A great trick is to take an ice cube and freeze the wax then simply pull it off. You can do this with chewing gum as well!
- If you live in an area that has a lot of sand, such as close to a lake or beach, I would suggest sweeping and mopping much more frequently. These abrasive sediments can do irreversible damage to just about any floor.
- Entry mats are a welcome guest when it comes to most floors as well. So use these in front of doors that lead from dirty areas or outside the home.
- If your area rugs are slipping, you can buy vinyl underlayment for a reasonable price.
- Finally, always use felt tips on any heavy furnishings that you may have in your home. Even if they are never moved over time, heavy pieces can cause indentations in your Shaw laminate flooring.