Carpet Tiles: The good, the bad, and the ugly!
Carpet tiles have been called everything from modular carpet to carpet squares. We see them all the time in places of business and peoples home but mot of the time we do not even realize that it isn’t wall to wall carpet. As this flooring is becoming increasingly more popular as time passes, I think that it is a great time to discuss the pros and cons of this flooring revolution.
First of let’s discuss Style!
There are many choices of styles and colors when you look at carpet tiles. They also come in multiple sizes, different fiber types, pile weights and heights, adhesive and non-adhesive. To make things short you have many choices to work with. You will most likely find what you are looking for, whether a plush, frieze or even berber style.
The backing materials also have options to choose from when selecting your carpet tile. They can be made of vinyl, fiberglass, a mixture of the two, urethane, woven polypropylene, and even in recycled materials.
Be sure to protect your investment in carpet tiles by following the warranty guidelines to a “T.” This will assure that if anything were to ever go wrong, you will be able to take comfort in seeing a return on your flooring!
Choosing the right carpet tile for you!
Beyond what aesthetic imagery you are concocting in you mind, you must always see the big picture too. Often times someone finds something that is right up there alley for looks, but if you do not take precaution you may wind up with a non function yet beautiful floor. Make sure to consider the possibilities of traffic flow throughout the area, also consider the size of the tile you are going with as they come in many different choices of size.
The Pros of Using Carpet Tiles:
- Easy Installation – You can definitely do this yourself. You can actually purchase kits that make the installation of these a snap.
- Easier Care and Cleaning – Tiles don’t require any padding or glue to install, although you may find ones that come with an adhesive backing. But if they are not adhered to the floor feel free to pull it up, wash and replace when dried. Also if the floor is damaged beyond repair you do not have to replace all of the flooring to replace!
- Design how you Want – The best thing about carpet tiles is the freedom of design that comes with it. You decided. If you want a border, create one. A checkered pattern, they have you covered!
The Cons of Using Carpet Tiles:
- The seams of carpet tiles show much more than the seams of traditional carpet. If you do not install them properly say hello to rough edges.
- Slightly less durable than traditional carpeting, this just means that it will wear faster from day to day use. That being said though, remember that you can replace worn areas rather than the entire floor at first signs of wear.
- A bit more expensive than buying a roll of carpet.
I hope you enjoyed this little pro and con article, so that you can better make the big decision of what flooring to go with for your particular taste, as for me I can’t get enough of Carpet Tiles! Until next time, Happy Flooring!