How Should You Store Unused Hardwood Flooring?

You may also like...

8 Responses

1. flooringwarrington says:

Wow what a good article. People rarely advise on this however it is really important to store wooden flooring correctly. I fit floors for a living and there is nothing worse that warped boards for trying to get a tight fit.

2. emma099 says:

Thank you for this wonderful article! I like the helpful information you provide in your blog articles.I enjoyed your helpful information about hardwood flooring . awesome work.

3. N. Worthington says:

I have some oak boards that have been used as kitchen counter tops ,has been covered with urethan for the past 30 + years recently recovered these as the house is bing pushed down. Can I store them on there side without damage ? I don’t have space to rack them in a controlled environment

• Jeff Ellis says:

To N. Worthington,
      Depending upon the amount, I would put it in a closet in my house or in the garage. Preferably a place where the temperature stays somewhat mild and there is low humidity. If you have any questions or concerns call me.

Jeff Ellis
      jeffellis@georgiacarpet.com
      Georgia Carpet Industries
      706-277-2330 ext. 5499

4. Amanda says:

I just bought some curupay hardwood. It has a Janka level of like 3800 and I read that it is also used for outdoor decks. I’m only getting it installed in about a year and need to store it in the mean time. My house has ac and heating and we also have a finished basement with a de humidifier. Could I store the boards in the basement, what do you recommend for this wood type?

• Jeff Ellis says:

5. Joni Parent says:

Thank you for your article. We purchased Santos Mahogany floors from Georgia Carpet last summer and they are beautiful However, our installer had us order way more that we needed (5 boxes extra) and I have no place to store them in our home in the Florida Keys. We wanted to keep extra in case we had damage from a hurricane, but I’m concerned that they are being stored in our garage in their original boxes. We have no room inside our home. Is something we can do (wrap the boxes with stretch film) to help preserve the wood?

• Joni, as long as water is not getting directly on the wood then it is perfectly fine and should not have any issues. Yes, wrapping the boxes with stretch film will hep preserve the wood. The main thing is you do not want direct water on the wood. When you are ready to install your wood, place it in your home for a minimum of 48 hours and it should be fine. Moisture levels should be checked by your installer in the wood and your floor before installing. A certified installer will know how to do this. I am glad your floors are looking beautiful! Santos Mahogany is certainly a beautiful wood floor.